Currently, my research group consists of 1 Post-Doc Fellow, 1 PhD student, 2 MSc students, and 5 BSc students. Information about current students and alumni can be found on the page of each student group.
Prospective Graduate Students
My research group primarily focuses on the areas of multimedia streaming, video coding, cloud computing, networking protocol/system design, big-data processing, and software defined networking (SDN). We are looking for self-motivated students meeting the following criteria to conduct research in innovative networking solutions:
- BSc or MSc degree in Computer Science with outstanding GPA (CPSC Department minimum requirements)
- Solid programming skills in C/C++, Python, and Java
- Solid background and experience in network protocol/system design and development
- Experience with Mininet, OMNet++, Spark, Docker Containers, and similar tools
- Background in Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics, and Numerical Optimization
- Knowledge or interests in H.26x standards and AV1
- Interests in immersive (AR/VR/360) visual communication and related fields (including cloud computing, video coding, network protocol/system design, SDN/NFV)
As part of my research group, you will have the chance to work on various topics in designing, building, and analyzing multimedia systems (including AR, VR, and 360 videos) at different scales. You will develop knowledge and practical skills in cloud computing, video codec standards, SDN/NFV, and big-data processing in the context of multimedia streaming and mixed reality. You will have the opportunity to enhance your system design and development skills in our server cluster, private and public clouds, as well as large-scale computing infrastructures. You will also have the opportunity to work with local industry partners (e.g., Cybera) and international industry partners (e.g., AT&T).
Examples of current projects:
- Coding-aware multimedia streaming systems (sample work: ACM MM 2015, LCN 2015)
- Distributed video transcoding (sample work: IPCCC 2018)
- Streaming traffic optimization in SDN network (sample work: LCN 2018)
- Cloud resource allocation and optimization (sample work: Globecom 2015, TNSM 2017)
If you are interested in joining my group, please send me a short CV , a copy of your transcript, publications (if any), and TOEFL/IELTS scores.